Friday 18 May 2012

Misconception Explanation

Right, so once again I'm stuck for content. Since I really want to keep at this blog idea, I figured I'd try and explain some of the misconceptions about MtF trans.


1) Trans people are just homosexuals/lesbians who like dressing up in drag


  Many tg (or transgender if you're really new at this) folk have different sexual preferences in the same manner that non-tg people have different preferences. This can lead to trans people being homosexual, lesbian, asexual, bisexual, or anything else under the 'brella. Some are both transgender and straight. 
  Also, there is a difference between dressing up in drag and dressing as the opposite sex as a transgendered person. I'm pretty bad at explaining stuff, so here's a quote taken from Wikipedia:


"Drag queen (first use in print, 1941) are stereotypically viewed to be gay men that dress in drag, either as part of a performance or for personal fulfillment. Though a good portion who wear women's clothing are straight men, the term drag queen distinguishes them from transvestites, transsexuals or transgender people. Doing drag here often includes wearing dramatically heavy makeup, wigs and prosthetic devices as part of the costume. Females are called drag kings; however, drag king also has a much wider range of meanings. It is currently most often used to describe entertainment (singing or lip-synching) in which there is no necessarily firm correlation between a performer's deliberately-macho onstage persona and offstage gender identity or sexual orientation, just as biological males who do female drag for the stage may or may not identify as being either gay or female in personal identity. A faux queen is usually a woman doing traditional female drag in the same spirit as men have done."


  To be honest, I don't feel like I've explained this one very well, but moving on.





2) People who dress as the opposite sex are nothing more than perverts that want to see that sex in sex-specific places such as bathrooms or gyms.



  With the exception of being straight or bisexual (maybe other sexual minorities, I'm not well-read on issues such as classification, or even aware if there's a large scene on the internet/in my area) before the operation (if an operation is wanted), I can promise that most transgendered folk have no interest whatsoever in the sex they would share the bathroom with when they're in "trans mode" (sorry, it's late and I can't think of any easy way to put it). Think of it this way - if you go into the bathroom, you expect total privacy from everyone. This isn't a matter of "Well they aren't the same gender as me down there" or even "My gay friend might be checking me out", it's normal bathroom politeness to leave people to their own devices. And whilst they might be gay or they might not have the right parts yet, but they just want the same thing as you do - to relieve their bladder and get on with whatever they're doing. 


Besides, for arguments sake, wouldn't a convincing mtf transgender person look A LOT less out of place in a women's bathroom than a man's bathroom?


To be honest, it's pretty late and I can't think of anything else to discuss due to being stupidly tired. Feel free to message me (anonymously if preferred) about questions or if I've made some error or insulted someone with my explanations. You've got to learn somehow right?


B.

No comments:

Post a Comment