Sunday 13 May 2012

Can you teach me?


  How can we help people who consider themselves too broken to be fixed?

  I don't have a full answer. Things like being a friend on that one occasion are good ways to help in the short term, but sometimes you need to look into why the person is like this.

  I've witnessed several examples. One, a disorder. Second was my good friend having the weight of their world on their shoulders. Disease, responsibility, education. All had to be balanced to make sure they're the strongest they can be to help their family. Sometimes cracks show though, and it's come out on two occasions now.

  I know the focus should be entirely on my friend, but here's where I struggle, and other people might too. You don't expect anything like this to even be associated with that person. How can this amazing person have so many troubles? I'm only being told this, but it's had me completely taken aback at the sheer strength of my friend to continue on and put such a front on that you wouldn't consider anything wrong. I become completely useless in the situations where people tell me deep or personal information - I revert to my quiet listening mode, stunned and not being able to think of anything to say. Yet, I get thanked for listening.

  I've done nothing except give you the attention you deserve, don't thank me.

  I still don't know how to help people with overwhelming problems, but believe me - when I learn how I'll share it with everyone.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment